|Stay Connected||Quick Links|
How strong Is It?... Watch the demonstration video
Environmentally Friendly. Recyclable. Easier To Pour.
Derivan has introduced a new standard of packaging for our most popular childrens and students range of products after sponsoring research into the recycling habits of major consumer groups.
While these results indicate most people understand the importance of recycling, there is still room to raise awareness. We at Derivan understand that it is equally important to encourage recycling as well as develop products that minimise waste. With this in mind, we have developed a new form of packaging that is both practical and reduces our overall carbon footprint.
Our latest innovation is the use of the new Eco-Pak that has multiple of environmental benefits.
The new Eco-Pak is unlike anything we have used before. Basically it is a soft recyclable plastic package that resembles a wine cask container. It has a flat base and the colour of the paint that it contains is clearly visible. A squared-off edge has a screw cap and nozzle for easy pouring.
From both a practical and environmental point of view, this new package has a number of benefits:
- Paint will also be easier to pour and squeeze out allowing for much less waste and effort. This is particularly the case when the container in less that 30% full.
- The unused portion of product left, once poured, is only 0.25% (5ml) of the total 2L of paint packaged as opposed to 5% (or 100ml) when packaged in a standard hard plastic bottle.
- New Eco-Pak means less waste and less packaging - 45% less in fact.
- Overall, the new soft pack is lighter before filled, weighing only 39gms compared to a 2L bottle at 70gms.
- The Eco-Pak is fully recyclable, as is the white pouring nozzle, with a recycle code of 7. Please refer to the guidelines issued by your local council to see how items with this code are recycled in your area.
- The smaller pouring nozzle ensures less exposure to air should the cap be left off for an extended period of time.
- As the Eco-Pak is more flexible, a greater number of them can be packed in a single carton, reducing our overall transport packaging, thus reducing our carbon footprint.
The introduction of the Eco-Pak, about two years ago, has proven to be a very successful one in as far as meeting our policy of sustainability is concerned. This has allowed to further confirm that our policy has been appropriately implemented, which involved the responsible assessment and use of resources offered by the packaging industry so we can effectively lessen our carbon footprint.
The two most important criteria, that this packaging met and continues to meet, within our sustainability policy are, recyclability and diminishing of landfill and product waste, therefore, lessening our carbon footprint.
According to the data obtained, when Derivan was researching various recyclable packaging options a few years back, this Eco-Pak has a combination of recyclable components, which makes it suitable to be accepted in various local recycling programs available in Australia. The reduced packaging materials content and the overall lighter weight of Eco-Pak was extensively considered information when researching the best possible eco-friendly alternatives available for the packaging of paint in larger volumes and the distribution of our products to our clients around the country.
The construction of the soft pack allows for less surface area required to fit in a truck load, as well as minimising damage during transit. Since the pack is more flexible, it is considerably more resilient to accidental mishandling and loading.
Therefore, its lighter weight construction and reduced mass means less trips (less carbon emissions) and less waste through accidental damage in transit.
How strong is the new Eco-Pak?....
This new Eco-Friendly Pak will continue to expand our company's sustainability policy by lessening our carbon footprint through the intelligent assessment and use of manufacturing resources in the packaging manufacturing industry. At Derivan we take the environment and its long term sustainability very seriously.